Saturday, February 18, 2006

"Arthur&George"- an excellent novel!


I was very pleased with reading "Arthur&George". I would qualify it as an excellent and very English, in the best sense of the word, book. It manages to give an unusual glimpse at the personality of the famous writer. All characters are masterly described. George is unique in his own way. I liked very much his honesty, his ordinarliness, his modesty. Sometimes he is so modest and simple that he can be taken for stupid or unactive. But the truth is that he is described as a very straightforward man. It was an interesting idea to see the creator of Sherlock Holmes into the shoes of his character:-)). Conan Doyle and his assistant were shown very much like Holmes and Watson, in some aspects. I admired the passion with which Doyle was defending George`s case. He not only defended him but believed him and respected him.

The spiritual session was a very good ending, in my opinion. The sudden fantasy of George of people walking as lifetime prisoners was striking and shocking.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:52 PM

    Just wanted to say hello from Poland to a fellow bookcrosser! I found your blog through some random surfing..I like it!! :)
    Greetings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, this is lotusflower77 from bookcrossing. Thanks so much for letting us know about your blog. I will definitely visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,jen and lotus reads!

    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your generous comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Milena, no problem and I will visit again. Did you put up your Word Cloud yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I just put it today:-)).Very cute!

    Look here:http://bookmaniac70.blogspot.com/2006/05/my-word-cloud.html

    ReplyDelete