Sunday, October 09, 2005

Getting better with my reading

Despaired as I was recently with my reading, hope returns, as I am close to finish a book of 860 pages just in a week! The book is "Mary Called Magdalene" by Margaret George. It retolds the story of Jesus through the eyes of Mary from Magdala, a controversial personage and a target for many speculations. It is in fact very close to the original Biblical story but is beautifully told. I have to say, I`m quite impressed with it. It was absorbing and moving. There were some subtle meanings and details which often pass unobserved when one thinks about Jesus. I was very content that Mary Magdalene was shown to be in love with Jesus, as it sounds psychologically true and is in no way uncommon. Somehow the writer has managed to soften the question of Jesus`s celibacy, making it look more as a personal mission than as a God`s commandment or repudiation of the flesh. I liked also the natural feelings of rivalry and occasional jealousy in Jesus`s apostles as they should be very natural in such a community. The book made pounder once again over one of the greatest stories of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment